Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ye Affa Keep Moving or Pacing Myself




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


A part of me has always been weary of slowing down both physically and mentally. I tend to equate youth with explosive physical activity and irrepressible creative impulses. These days the physical mostly comes from manual labor, and the creative impulses are a bit repressed. But somewhere along this road of life I learned about walking and pacing, and discovered that during a quiet walk my mind traversed not only creative things, but also logical, personal, and spiritual things; things past and things coming; things witnessed and things invented.

Walking has always been associated with struggle for me. I've walked probably tens of thousands of miles in my life, sometimes to get to a place on time, sometimes just to get home, and sometimes in search of an answer. I've literally walked till I bore holes in the soles of my shoes. Taking another step is often like taking another breath. So its a relevant conclusion that in times of stagnation and depression, apathy and desperation I pace my apartment just as I would stretch, breathe, pray, or meditate. I believe we embody life energy until that energy goes elsewhere.

I got a chance to dig into a couple of movies this week. On my buddy's recommendation I watched A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints. I also caught Sherlock Holmes last weekend. I am partially through Goya's Ghosts, and considering finally watching A Bout de Souffle (Breathless). I am currently listening to Amy Beach Chanson d'Amour

I have been pining away for a PMP, but no amount of research and parsing through consumer reviews has been able to allay my fears of making the wrong choice. The perfect machine will be reasonably compact with a 5" (or better) 800x600 touch screen, built in speakers, bluetooth, wifi, fm tuner/transmitter, support wmv, asf, avi, mp4, mkv, ogm, h.264, xvid, divx, wma, mp3, wav, flac, ogg, have the capacity of at least 160GB (500GB if possible), support a web browser with up to date flash suppport, and support for component/composite/hdmi output. GPS would be a much appreciated addition, as well as API support. I may have to design this thing myself if I ever want it to see the light of the day.

I passed up a 160GB Archos 605 to get my long sought Jaybird 200-m wireless sport earbuds. Also I bought a refurbished Gyration 2GB air mouse. It is awesome. I will now watch a lot of stuff on my laptop, comfortably from my bed, untethered. Oh yes, I also replaced the screen on my zune and it works good as new!

Next week I will talk about a million things having to do with samurai, including Lone Wolf and Cub and Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai! Have a great week everybody!

No comments: