Monday, August 8, 2011

On Illustrated Stories

I recently discovered the work of Faith Erin Hicks. I really enjoy her use of color. I also became reacquainted with the work of Tony Cliff. I'm finding it's always an exciting time to be reading and discovering comics. Stories are a wonderful thing to invest oneself in. Even better to see forms, ideas, emotions attempted in so many varieties in such an unbelievably different way than the written word. The syntax of comics is an open form, unfettered by subject verb agreement, tense regularity, or antiquated guidelines of propriety. It breaks free of cultural restraints in the same way early films did. I see why my life repeatedly returns to illustrated stories.


Uploaded by on Oct 27, 2009

This weekend I added quite a few oddities to my queue: Michael Crichton's directorial debut West World (1973), The entire run of Iron Fist (vol. 1-4), the entire run of Matt Wagner's Grendel and Conan, both the Barbarian (1982) and the Destroyer (1984). My mind is a labyrinth of curiosities.

I also spent quite a bit of time reorganizing files and folders across three hard drives. The next step is to actually mirror archive these separate volumes. I would hope I will have upgraded my motherboard and bought a better set of ram modules by then. So many projects, so little attention to devote to them. Le sigh.

copyright Anthony Clark (Nedroid) 2011

No comments: