Sunday, July 24, 2011

Take a Long Walk

San Diego Comic Con came and went. Unfortunately I didn't. Le sigh. I don't know what has been happening to me over the last couple of years that I hopelessly complicate short term plans. Right now I feel like a plane kept in the hangar too long, with nothing to show for flight time, just a couple of false starts. Things need to change for me.

Well aside from all the doom and gloom of missing one of my favorite weekends of the year, this just in more doom and gloom. Apparently Amy Winehouse decided to off herself rockstar style the same weekend some homicidal maniac goes on a rampage in Oslo. It is truly hard to wrap my mind around the true significance of a life suddenly being obliterated---all the unsaid goodbyes, the diaries left in cliffhangers, the routine hellos, comings and goings, erased. It's not enough to say a murder, a suicide, or even death is senseless. For the living death is the threshold of our most profound virginity. My most heartfelt best wishes go the survivors of these and other tragedies.

Okay so this weekend, instead of unplugging and taking a break out in the sun I swam through a bunch of old X-Men comics, and dug my feet in the dirt with Homestuck. I also flew through the entire Flight game, caught up with Octopus Pie, Vattu, and Bad Machinery, and beat Final Fight and Mazinger Z. I know, it kind of sounds productive. But it's not.

I spent a good long time pacing my apartment, realizing that all my life I've taken long walks to clear my mind, and how rare these days I make time for that. So I think I'm going to have to dedicate this next week to taking long walks, whenever I can get them in.

Before I forget Happy Birthday Emmy Cicierega and Natalie Tran. What a pair of angels those two. Okay, Monday approacheth. See you soon.

No comments: