Sunday, November 25, 2012

Whimsical Returns

It's Thanksgiving weekend.  I've been home all weekend, mostly just meandering through old half explored thoughts and haunts of the past.  I caught up with most of Adventure Time Season 4, worked on a doodle.  I had chilli and pepper cheddar biscuits.  I drank coffee and ate cookies.  Last night I picked up somewhere in the middle of Drew Weing's journal archives of 2002.  That was the last string of exploration while digging through all my stumbleupon likes, while simultaneously writing an outline of events and influences from 2007 and on.

I'm doing a sort of excavation this season.  Trying to piece together my past into a unified, meaningful whole.  It's daunting to chart some sort of progression in a life full of tangents and distractions, but it's also surprising to discover things that had been overlooked in the periphery.  I guess I just really enjoy doing this kind of stuff.  Or it's just a compulsion.


Published on Apr 15, 2012 by

I thought it might be useful to start observing the seasons in this journal.  We are closing in on the end of fall and the beginning of winter.  This was the week of the continued bankruptcy proceedings of The Hostess company, the passing of Larry Hagman, the Chris Brown/Drake fight, and the week I started following Grey DeLisle.  I had mysterious body itches all week, and I cleaned out the dust from my computer and my fan, and tried both anti-itch creme and cortisone to no avail.

I read this great article about Adventure Time recently.  Nick Cross started following me and I began following Troy Little, his partner in creating Angora Napkin.  I became aware of the excellent comics of  Connor McCann as well as the gorgeous work of  Mihoshi. Sarah is a great journal comic cartoonist.  I had the pleasure of beginning the journey with not only the intricate Project Ballad but also Rebecca Clements comic return with her whimsical retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk.

I downloaded Steve Niles and Kelley Jones' The Edge of Doom PDF for free this weekend, w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶g̶a̶ ̶S̶t̶u̶d̶i̶o̶ ̶E̶X̶4̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶$̶3̶0̶!  I was resolutely against spending money, especially on Thanksgiving.  I recalled the trampling of Djimytai Damour in 2008.


Published on Nov 19, 2012 by

Classic artists on my mind this weekend:  Iwao Takamoto, Milt Kahl, Rory Crane, Alex Toth.

No comments: