Wednesday, January 19, 2011

You can't bring the future back

. . . but you can certainly bring the past back up!

Hey, I know it's the middle of the week, but it's a new year and new and crazy things might just happen from now on. I'm interrupting your usual week to bring you some musings straight from the source. So I found this: http://forgottenjunk.webs.com/baoh.htm

Let me explain. I'm kind of on an old school kick searching for the Crusher Joe OAVs to go along with a viewing of Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Martian Successor Nadesico, and possibly Cowboy Bebop. I'm not sure that these all necessarily fit into the same genre, but I think there is at least a link. For instance, it's been my undersupported suspicion that Bebop is a mashup of Crusher Joe and Lupin III. There's something about the cavalier, inexperienced lead male protagonist that beckons to my anime loving soul. This stuff is fun. But things have changed over the years.

So simultaneously I am on a separate vision quest to pinpoint what it is that was fun about anime of yore. Enter the forgottenjunk catacombs, collector of ephemera. We're kindred spirits really. I recommend checking out some of the Gaga Communications trailers. If that doesn't send you through a timewarp, then you probably weren't alive back then.


kingarthurpendragon | March 03, 2009

I watched the Crystal Triangle one and immediately was reminded of a pair of Sega games that haunted my childhood. I recall Rolling Thunder II and El Viento being a pair of games with interconnected stories. What impressed me then was the fully fleshed anime promotional artwork. Back in the 90's (not to mention the late 80's) anything that incorporated some anime artwork and hinted at a fleshed out story set my mind on fire. I would obsess about it and imagine how the story would play out. For this reason, I believed for many years that I loved video games. I discovered at some point in my life that I, at best, hold some cheerful regard for old 16-bit games, and only casually like playing video games in general.


kingarthurpendragon | February 25, 2009

In this day and age, where media is available at our fingertips, where digital storage is cheap, and information flies across the globe with the speed of electricity we are afforded the chance to revisit things from the past. But I've found that the luster on these things has all but faded. Is it because our feelings for them have changed? Is it because our expanded consciousness no longer feels stimulated by these things, or is it even just as simple as the context of their existence. If we were to take our best and brightest of today into the future how would they be perceived?

No comments: