Sunday, October 9, 2011

Noodles Over Meat


Uploaded by songstowearpantsto on Sep 27, 2011

It's Halloween season again, and Emily Carrol's got another terrifying tale to tell.

I like JP Coovert's comics. Also Puppy Teeth looks interesting. I'm mostly interest in the work of Kevin Czapiewski and his brother Matt who does Eat That Toast. I also discovered Stuff No One Told Me.

Remember this sketch from last week? I decided in keeping with my New Year's Resolution, and having read an awesome google + thread begun by Dustin Harbin relating to publishing, perseverance, and self consciousness, to push myself through in completing this sketch. The first pic is a feeble attempt at inking digitally in GIMP. The second one is a scanned and cleaned up version of a pen & pocket brush ink.




Can you tell which one I felt more inspired by? If you guessed the second picture, you get to see this preview. While I was inking I began to think about what these characters appearances could say about their personalities and histories. I've been reading a lot of Dresden Codak's tumblr, including this latest Speculative DC Reboot on villians. The female character on the left really came to life for me. She's definitely a very masculine character who is unsure of how to act feminine, but outside of her duty, wants to experience courtship and romance. I'm a little wary of pandering to LGBT readers, but I think her character is truly compelling for me. The other two, are pretty prototypical master/student, stoic/goofball archtypes. I'm certain these characters should be on a quest of some kind, and I'm heavily leaning towards a tongue-in-cheek, possibly self-referential slant.

This weekend I watched Contagion, a bunch of The Wire, NCIS, and Battle Star Galactica. I was so caught up in work I forgot to watch Breaking Bad. That might, for once, be a good thing. This past week the world lost Steve Jobs. Bless you Steve Jobs for all that you were, and all you accomplished.


Uploaded by on Oct 8, 2011

No comments: